Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin

Pumpkins remind me of a beautiful fruit or vegetable that lends itself to delicious cooking! My friend, Betty, who visited me this summer was so kind as to send me a paper pumpkin, as well as a template so that I could make my own.

This is Betty's gorgeous pumpkin card:


and this is the pumpkin I made, which has always been my wish, to make it patchwork!


Thank you Betty!

Now onto a lovely recipe for Pumpkin soup. Only I don't use this kind of pumpkin but a POTIMARRON, which is part of the pumpkin family but much smaller and it has a different shape. I can buy them at our supermarket and this is what they look like. As you can see I also have some black tomatoes and I just love Red peppers too!


In most recipes the Potimarron has to be peeled and cut up into slices. Well I don't do that because it takes too long and mostly this vegetable is quite hard to cut through. So, I cut it in half and remove all the seeds, wash it and put it into a pressure cooker for about 15 minutes, peel and all. When it is soft, the skin can be removed quite easily and thrown away.

Recipe:
1 Potimarron of about 1kg
2 onions
2 apples
1 tablespoon of brown suger
Nutmug
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 or 2 chicken broth cubes
Cream
Pepper

Peel onions and slice.  Peel apples, slice in four, take out the core, cut into pieces.  Put olive oil into a high pan and when hot, fry the onions for three minutes. Add the apple and the sugar and fry together for another five minutes on medium heat stirring all the time. Add nutmeg, cinnamon and crumble the chicken broth cubes into the soup. Add the Potimarron which has already been peeled and cooked to the pan and add some water so that it isn't too thick. Add according to the consistency you like, but it must remain thick. Cook on a very low heat for a good five minutes. Then, either with a wand mixer or another type of Kitchen machine, puree it all together.
Add more of the above spices according to the taste you like. After serving the soup, add some cream to the top.
This is what it should look like:


If you do make it, which can be done just as well with pumpkins, please tell me.

Have a lovely weekend!
Jacqueline
ps - I had to translate this recipe from Dutch to English, so I hope it makes sense.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful pumpkin card Jacqueline ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your patchwork pumpkin, Jacqueline! I've come across an idea for a pumpkin card made from HA doilies. Here's a link - http://andreascreativepapertrail.blogspot.ru/2012/10/the-pumpkin-patch.html What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqueline, love both the pumpkin cards........I've never tried pumpkin soup....maybe I should !!!
    blessings
    Chris richards
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. the soup recipe sounds wonderful - i will have to try it. love your card in those colors. are you going to make some more??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the soup recipe.
    I'll look for those special kinds at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the soup looks delicious! I like the pumpkin card too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Pumpkin Soup and Pumpkin Ravioli and Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Holiday Bread.....just a few of my favorite pumpkin things!!!! Your pumpkin card looks special too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a gorgeous card Jacqueline. Your patchwork pumpkin is fabulous and the recipe looks very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your pumpkin cards are gorgeous, such a lovely shape!
    irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was für entzückende Kürbis-Karten...
    Ich bin total begeistert und inspiriert.
    Vielen Dank

    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another gorgeous card ! How creative ! Tasty looking recipe as well. Will join as a follower, love your designs, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both the card look wonderful. I love the embossed folder you friend used on her card. And I do love the patchwork card you created. So pretty my friend. That soup sure does look yummy. I don't know if I have ever scene that type of pumpkin before.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jacqueline :) I lovvve your patchwork pumpkin and Betty's pumpkin too!! Gorgeous! Guess what I'm doing right now ... it's very late, but after I saw your Potimarron Soup recipe .. I just had to go to the kitchen .. yup .. I'm busy making potimarron soup. Now I didn't know that is what you call these little squash-like pumpkins but I always get them from the farmer in the Fall. I have made a similar soup using a cooking-pumpkin but I really prefer the taste of these potimarron .. it's more full bodied is the only way I can describe it. I've been loving all of your beautiful cards that I've been seeing. Sending you a hug,Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a fantastic job combining patterned papers. What a beautiful pumpkin, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jacqueline, I made a huge pot of the potimarron soup late last night .. it is sooo good!! Love the addition of the apples!! I had family come over today, everyone loved the soup and had second helpings. It's all gone!!! I will have to make some more tomorrow so that I will have it during the week! Thanks so much for sharing Jacqueline .. there is always so many wonderful things on your blog. I love your quote from CS Lewis. sending hugs, Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful pumpkin cards.I love both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love this Pumpkin Patch card Jacqueline! And that soup sounds delish with those yummy spices. I have not seen these types of pumpkins here, I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your visit - I so appreciate it!